PRESS STATEMENT BYTHE MINISTER OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND PUBLIC WORKS ON URBAN PUBLIC TRANSPORT
Following the repealing of the section 4 (2)(a) of Statutory Instrument 83 of 2020 Public Health (Covid-19 Prevention, Containment and Treatment) (National Lockdown) Order, 2020, and the Presidential announcement on Public Transport, the operations of the Urban Public Transport sector will be provisionally guided by the Statutory Instrument 35A of 1994, the Road Motor Transportation (Emergency Commuter Omnibus) Regulations. You are therefore advised that all Local Authorities are to:
- Recommend route authority and issue rank disks for applicants to operate on urban routes in their areas of jurisdiction.
- Retake, manage and control the use of all termini, bus stops and holding bays in their areas of jurisdiction.
- Enforce traffic regulations and By-laws with the support of law enforcement agents. This includes removal of touts, picking and dropping off passengers at undesignated points and addressing challenges of obstruction of traffic.
- Omnibus Operators are advised to approach their respective Local Authorities for the processing of their applications with immediate effect.
- Commuting passengers are advised and reminded to adhere to designated pick up and drop off points only or risk being arrested and prosecuted.
Additional measures to ease Urban Public Transport challenges will be advised in due course.
Hon J. G. Moyo
MINISTER OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND PUBLIC WORKS.